Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Old Works #3: "If You're Not Cheating, You're Not Trying!"

Around this time I developed an interest in baseball cards.  It's something about the collecting of cards, the bits of information stamping a moment in history... 

I don't so much care for the current standard: in action photographed cards on coated cardstock.  I do prefer the original cigarette box cut-out variety.  Of course I'll never get my hands on those...  But in those cards, there was more art and design involved.  Now-a-days, card companies are into sticking whatever kind of memorabilia into a 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" "card"...

I'm rambling.

"If You're Not Cheating, You're Not Trying!" is a mini-series of cards (2 3/4" x 1 3/4") 12 in total of 11 players notorious (or "well speculated") for doctoring the ball.

Cards were printed using a "faux"-to etch method (see what I did there?).  At the time, there wasn't the equipment/supplies/teacher to teach the proper photo-etching process...  But I heard of some other techniques to produce a photo-like image onto an etching plate.  This one I screenprinted drawing fluid onto the copper plate, covered it in hardground, and then washed off the drawing fluid as if it were sugarlift (it works the same way).


I wanted to make the cards presentable, so I tested out relief printing on shiney/reflective mylar to mimick foil-wrappers.

 






No comments:

Post a Comment