Saturday, September 29, 2012

Trying new things...

Yeah... I'm definitely working a new thing now.




This is a maaaaaaaajor upheaval of my entire art practice.  I was a figure painter/drawer, now... I'm a whaaa?

Where does this come from??  Well, it was something I had in mind for a while...  maybe not this specifically...  But it was an idea from last year during my Book as Art class.  I was thinking about making a book with my own made language, or code.  Maybe take a series of stories and translate them in that language/code, or translate an entire story phonetically.

There's something about language that's intriguing. 

So today...  I took 26 random sunflower seeds, randomly assigned them to a letter of the modern English alphabet (A-Z), and drew them out black and white.

I had been staring at the idividual boxes for so long today, I wasn't even sure if I was confident with how this would entirely turn out. When I got home I scanned it into Photoshop, and ta-da! Not so bad looking...

Why sunflower seeds?  WELL...  They were at hand?  I wanted something mundane?  Sunflower seeds are incredibly simple objects with such complexity in design and pattern...  There are various reasons...

Where am I taking this?  I foresee a large sheet.  A bunch of encoded words.  And a world of backaching pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment